Our network

Stay warm, stay safe | Home & Garden

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Stay warm, stay safe
Home & Garden
Stay warm, stay safe

CenterPoint Energy issues important carbon monoxide safety tips

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. -- Cold weather is here and CenterPoint Energy encourages all natural gas customers to follow important safety tips to keep them safe from carbon monoxide poisoning as they stay warm.

Any fuel-burning equipment or appliance including wood stoves, fireplaces, space heaters, barbecue grills, furnaces, water heaters, boilers and ranges, has the potential to produce carbon monoxide (CO). Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and non-irritating.

When breathed, CO combines with the blood and prevents it from absorbing oxygen. Carbon monoxide can be produced by incomplete combustion, often the result of improperly adjusted or poorly-vented appliances. Annual check-ups of these appliances help ensure proper and safe operation of these types of appliances and equipment.

If you are in a room with operating gas equipment and experience a headache, followed by dizziness and nausea, you may be experiencing CO poisoning. Get fresh air immediately, and call CenterPoint Energy at 800-992-7552. To prevent CO buildup:

  • Follow manufacturers' operating instructions properly for gas heating equipment.
  • Do not use stovetop burners or ovens to heat a room since they are not designed for this use.
  • Make sure to follow the blue flame rule. Natural gas flames should burn blue except natural gas fireplace logs which burn orange to have a more realistic wood burning look.
  • Crack windows slightly if using unvented space heaters.
  • Consider buying a CO detector as another line of defense against CO poisoning. CenterPoint Energy recommends buying one with an audible alarm and continuous digital display; make sure it is tested to the national standard for residential CO detectors (UL2034 or IAS NO. 6-96)

For more information on natural gas safety, visit CenterPointEnergy.com/safety.

Home & Garden